Everything You Must Know About Glycolic Acid : Skin Benefits
Glycolic acid is a precious ingredient in creams, peelings, and cleansing skin care products. The benefits of glycolic acid, one of the few molecules that can adapt to every skin type, are incredible.
This article focuses on glycolic acid, which has healing and beautifying effects on the skin in a short time in regular use. We have explained in detail its benefits to the skin and the healing power of this component. If you want to include glycolic acid or products containing this component in your skincare routine, you should check out these tips we have prepared for you. You can also find great product suggestions at the end of our article!
What is Glycolic Acid?
Glycolic acid, also known as fruit acid, is an all-natural ingredient derived from plant sugar. It is also a form of AHA known as glycolic acid alpha-hydroxy acid. Since its molecular structure is smaller than other AHA acids, it can penetrate the skin much better. Glycolic acid, which cleans and refreshes the skin, is one of the most effective chemical exfoliation, namely peeling agents, that can be used to have a healthy skin appearance.
How Does Glycolic Acid Work?
Glycolic acid acts on the cells in the uppermost layers of the skin tissue at the molecular level. Glycolic acid, which weakens and dissolves the bonds between these cells called keratinocytes and forms the dead skin layer on the skin, cleanses the skin without tiring. This way, the layer that covers the pores and prevents the skin from breathing and the care products from reaching the lower layers of the tissue is removed without the need for chemical processes that corrode the skin. As a result, the cell cycle in the skin tissue accelerates, and the formation of new cells is supported.
What Does Glycolic Acid Do?
We said that the most crucial feature of glycolic acid is that it cleans the skin without irritating it, thanks to its small molecular structure. Glycolic acid, which gently purifies the sebum, dirt, and dead cells accumulated on the skin without irritating, renews the skin's appearance with soft touches. To summarize the benefits of glycolic acid for the skin in more detail, we can say:
- Thanks to its skin-purifying structure, glycolic acid helps cells renew themselves. Thus, it shows both an anti-aging effect and minimizes the appearance of blemishes on the skin.
- It has a healing effect on skin infections. It is suitable for skin conditions such as acne, fungus, and psoriasis.
- Glycolic acid, which cleans the dead cells on the skin, prevents the dirt from filling the pores. Thus, you will not have to deal with acne and blackheads caused by the filling of the pores, and you will get maximum efficiency from the care products applied to open and clean pores.
- Glycolic acid, which can go down to the cell level, increases the skin's collagen production and thus strengthens the skin's protective barrier.
- It moisturizes the skin and endures the scaly appearance caused by excessive dryness.
Who Can Use Glycolic Acid?
Glycolic acid has a lovely property that steals hearts! It is suitable for almost all skin types and all age groups. It is only necessary to test on a small area before use on susceptible skin. Besides that, oily skins mostly prefer glycolic acid due to its intense cleansing feature.
From What Age Should Glycolic Acid Be Used?
Acid-formed products generally support the skin's natural structure and can be used starting from adolescence, when the skin is most affected by hormonal changes. Glycolic acid-containing care products are also preferred during adolescence as they fight against the formation of blackheads and acne in this period when the problem of lubrication of the skin is at the highest level. However, products with a much higher effect, such as pure glycolic acid serum or peeling, are recommended to be used from the mid-20s. After this period, glycolic acid can be included in the daily care ritual at any age range.
How to Use Glycolic Acid
Glycolic acid can be used both in the form of serum and can be included in the formulas of different skin care products. Here you can choose according to the result you want to achieve.
- Serums containing glycolic acid contain a high proportion of this component. Therefore, its effect is observed faster and offers a more robust solution. However, since the continuous use of these high-concentration products can irritate the skin, they must be applied periodically.
- Thin and sensitive skins generally prefer facial cleansing gel, tonic, and moisturizer types whose formula is strengthened with glycolic acid. Such products can be used without interruption.
- Chemical peeling, a professional skin care application known as glycolic acid peeling, cannot be applied to all skin types because it is a process that tires the skin. For glycolic acid peeling, it is necessary to consult a competent specialist in the field.
If you are looking for a way to include glycolic acid in your care routine most effectively and efficiently, you can review our product recommendation below!
Reward Your Skin with Maruderm AHA 10% + BHA 2% Exfoliating Serum 30 ML Containing Glycolic Acid!
It's easy to take advantage of the fantastic effects of glycolic acid. Just choose the right product! By raising your care ritual with this ingredient, you can purify your skin from dead cells and renew it by refreshing it!
You can find the refreshing effect you are looking for in MaruDerm's AHA collection! Maruderm AHA 10% + BHA 2% Peeling Serum 30 ML gives you a completely renewed and refreshed skin appearance in 7 days. Its intense formula containing 10% AHA allows the skin to gain a brighter form after use. After using our serum included in the package:
- The skin is renewed and looks smoother.
- Fine lines are reduced, and blemishes begin to disappear.
- Your skin tone will be evened, and you will have brighter skin!
What should be considered when using glycolic acid in skin care?
Since glycolic acid is a powerful component, there are a few points you should pay attention to after use. We can list them as follows:
- You should not go out in the sun after using glycolic acid. For this reason, it is recommended to use intensely concentrated glycolic acid serums for night care. You should also apply sunscreen with a high protection factor during the day.
- Glycolic acid and vitamin A derivatives cannot be used together. For this reason, it is necessary to remove all forms of vitamin A, especially retinol, from the maintenance ritual for a while.
- Glycolic acid can dry out the skin for a while when applied at high rates. For this reason, it would be much better to turn to formulas with moisturizing agents from products with high content, such as serum. After using glycolic acid, you should not forget to apply a moisturizer suitable for your skin type.
- You should not use too many products containing glycolic acid simultaneously. Because, in this case, you can exceed the glycolic acid ratio that the skin can tolerate without realizing it. You can combine several care products containing low-intensity glycolic acid in one routine.
If you prefer a highly concentrated formula, you should make sure that other products in your care ritual do not contain glycolic acid in their structure. MaruDerm, the first choice of women who fascinate those around them with its perfection and well-groomed stance at every moment of life, continues to offer you the best care formulas! You can also examine MaruDerm products by determining the structure and needs of your skin, and you can find everything you are looking for for a complete care routine here!
You can check out our blog post about Salyclic Acid: here